Friday, September 16, 2011

Island Chik'n and Rice with Peas

I got the idea for this meal from a Publix Aprons recipe. The recipe calls for sweet Thai chili sauce, but I didn't have any. What I did have was a peach, honeydew, and some honey, which I thought might make a yummy glaze!

As much as I didn't want to, I used the Quorn Chik'n Cutlets for this recipe. It really is the best alternative to chicken, even if it does use egg whites. So for now at least I am going to live with it!

I sprayed the cutlets with olive oil using my Misto and place them on the grill to start cooking one side. I also started the yellow rice and put the peach and honeydew in the food processor, then transferred the puree to a skillet over medium heat to see if I could get more of a glaze consistency. It thickened a little, but it really looked like applesauce. I also added a little honey in there.

I took the skillet out to the grill and flipped the chik'n over and spooned a little of the fruit glaze on, spreading it over the pieces. Then I went back inside to check on the rice. After the yellow rice cooked for about 16 minutes I removed the lid and added some jerk seasoning, garlic salt, and Adobo, and then added some frozen peas, mixed well, and put the lid back on. At this point I also raised the temp back up to medium.

I went back to flip the chik'n, added more glaze, and then went back in to stir the rice, cover, and turn off the stove. The rice was done!

All that was left was the chik'n, which I flipped over and added a squeeze of lime. Another flip, another squeeze of lime and it was time for dinner.

The chik'n was good, but the rice was AWESOME!! I think next time I will grill the chik'n, but maybe add some savory seasonings and then coat with the glaze in the skillet. We topped the rice with a little cilantro and topped the chik'n with some green onions. Definitely want to give this one another shot sometime! It was good, but I think it has the potential to be a favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment