Thursday, August 15, 2013

Portabello Wellington

Okay, maybe not healthy but this recipe is possibly the best thing I have ever found on Pinterest! I've never had much luck with wine sauces, but I did pretty well on this one! In fact, it's the sauce that I am most excited about! The portabello wellington was okay, but it was nothing without the sauce! You can find the full recipe here: http://virtuallyveganmama.com/2011/05/portobello-wellington-vegan-dinner-party-time.html It will explain how to prep the portabello and wrap it in puff pastry with the filling of more mushrooms and seasoning, etc. For the sauce, I started by following the recipe with red wine and veg stock. I didn't have date syrup so I think I added honey (or maybe it was brown sugar?). Simmer together. As it simmered, I thought back to our trip to Montreal a couple years ago, when I ate the GREATEST meal ever! Seriously, I dream about that dinner and would go back to Montreal again just to go to that restaurant! The complexity of the flavors in that sauce will haunt me forever! So I looked at my photo of what I ate in Montreal (of course I still have a photo of the greatest thing I've ever eaten on my phone). I looked at the ingredients, and though I didn't have everything that was in there I used it as my inspiration. I didn't have shallots, but I tossed some chopped onion into the wine sauce. I also had a zucchini, so I chopped it up and tossed it in as well. Some rosemary and thyme. I'm sure I put some garlic in there as well (powder and minced both?). I watched it all simmer together and prayed that I didn't just screw up the sauce that I made with a decent bottle of wine from one of our wine clubs (I think it had been opened for a couple days, so no harm). After a while I gave it a little taste and it was coming together nicely! I cleaned a couple carrots and tossed them into the oven with the portabello and also sauteed some spinach. In the end, it was all so delicious, but WAY too much food! If you make the portabello wellington, I definitely recommend cutting it in half and sharing. It is massive! But wow... the sauce soaking in to the puff pastry was out of this world amazing! I'm almost scared to try this again for fear of ruining the memory of the one time I got a wine sauce right! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment