Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Taco Night!

I can't get enough of sauteed veggies. They are my go-to when I don't feel like trying out a new recipe. So tonight we made tacos with corn tortillas, refried beans, and sauteed onions, mushrooms, and green bell peppers. We topped our tacos with salsa, lettuce, and green onions. I also toasted some of the tortillas to make tostadas, which I think we much better than just the warmed tortilla.

The refried beans were easy. I just put the can in a pot and set it just below medium, added a touch of olive, fresh squeezed lemon, Adobo, garlic powder, and black pepper. I have never made refried beans before and I usually can't stand them, but they were delicious!

The sauteed veggies are easy. I start with a little olive oil and heat it in the pan. Add the green peppers and onions and cook those covered for a little while over medium heat. I add just a dash of water to them so they don't burn. Then I put in the mushrooms and add some Adobo, garlic powder, and fresh lemon juice (I use these to flavor just about anything). I meant to add fresh garlic but I forgot. Anyway, it's pretty tough to mess this up!

As an added treat, I cut up the small corn tortillas into 6 parts and made baked tortilla chips, which were killer! I drizzeled them with olive oil before putting them in the oven. I put them on broil, but next time I think I would just cook them at 400 degrees. No need to flip them over as long as you preheat the cookie sheet along with the oven. They seems to cook pretty well on both sides.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed the veggie tacos. If we got back to adding seafood or meat, I'm sure it would add a little extra flavor, but the beans, salsa, green onions, and lettuce were actually a great combination of flavor. The refriend beans are very filling. I'm not sure adding meat would be very necessary.

    Definitely a recipe to keep for future use.

    ReplyDelete