Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A happy and healthy 2013!

It's the beginning of a new year, which means that Matt and I are doing our detox! We always look forward to this part of the year! Since I lost most of my recipes due to a virus on my other blog (boo!!) I'm back to posting on here. Last year I had some really great recipes, but I'm looking forward to trying some new ones! Living in California makes eating healthy much easier. The produce is plentiful, better, and insanely cheap! I just checked the ad for one of our local markets, and oranges are 5lbs for $1! Yes, not 5 oranges for $1, but FIVE POUNDS!!! Pineapples were 2 for $3 and avocados were 3 for $1 last week. Plus the spa we go to is by an amazing farmer's market. If you are willing to drive (and know where to go) there are independent sellers with even better produce deals! So not only are we cleansing our bodies, we're also saving lots of money!
This week, we have cut all meat out of our diet to prepare ourselves for 3 weeks of fasting! Last night we had a huge stir fry with the yummy stuff below!
I also added some fresh green beans and minced garlic after I took the pic. Totally forgot to take a pic of it all cooked because I devoured it! For lunch today I made half pita sandwiches filled with romaine, alfalfa sprouts, cucumbers, tomatoes, and black olives. I added a few more plump black olives and some giant chunks of honeydew on the side.
Random thing about me... I LOVE black olives, but hate green ones. Honeydew is my favorite fruit, but I can't stand the taste of cantaloupe. I also like broccoli but think that cauliflower is disgusting. Am I weird, or what?! Next week begins the real challenge! Since I work at home and don't find the parameters of the Daniel Fast all that restricting, I am going to do liquids only during daylight hours. I usually start the day with juice (I like using oranges, apples, and carrots, but today I used some pear and pineapple). For lunch I will probably do a green smoothie. In between meals I will have a glass of water flavored with cucumber and lemon (beats soda any day!). I am debating about drinking seltzer because carbonated beverages are on the no-no list, but I think that should only be things like soda that are packed with sugars. Seltzer just has a tiny bit of sodium, but otherwise it's water. So I am debating about that. In my opinion, fasting is not so much about a strict set of rules set by someone else but about making personal sacrifices during a time of reflection and prayer. I have a few days to think about it! Meanwhile, I am also already thinking of all the amazing recipes that I want to try out! Ever since we decided to move from Florida to California our lives have been crazy and we've been putting absolute garbage into our bodies! We are both excited about our commitment to cleanse our bodies and minds this month! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment