Friday, January 11, 2013

Southwest Chili

Yesterday, the hubs said "It's cold. We should make chili!" Every time I make chili, I forget how I made it. But every time it also comes out awesome, so I'm convinced that chili is a fool proof thing to make! This pot of chili included some squash, zucchini, onions, corn, beans (1 can of kidney beans and 2 cans of tri colored beans), 1 large can of stewed tomato slices, and a ton of chili powder and cumin. When I say a ton, I mean put an obscene amount of both into the pot and just when you think you've put too much, double it! I feel like you can't add too much spice when it comes to chili! I also put some sea salt in as I was cooking. We like to also use ground soy in our chili, so if you like a meaty chili you can always use that (check the ingredients though - a lot of meat alternatives include yeast extract and egg whites, which aren't fast-friendly). I bought the packet before checking the label, so I went ahead and used it, but next time it will be strictly veggie. If you're fasting, also check the label for the beans. Some may have corn syrup. The cans I bought were organic and only had sea salt and water. This is a pic before it all cooked together. It was soooo good that I forgot to take a pic of the finished product. We each had two helpings and we're having leftovers for dinner (we may put the chili on top of some baked potatoes). Can't wait for dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment