Sunday, January 6, 2013

Stuffed Heirloom Tomatoes

I got the idea for this recipe from an Italian cookbook one of our friends sent us. This time, I chose some plump heirloom tomatoes and stuffed them with some sauteed spinach and cooked brown rice. They are super easy to make. Cut out the stem, and flip the tomato over so that the bottom is the top. Slice off a piece to be the "cap." Scoop out the inside of the tomato, and put in a bowl. Add your other ingredients to the bowl of tomato pieces and season to taste. If we weren't fasting, I'd use risotto and some cheese, but the brown rice and spinach worked out nicely! Place the cap back on the tomato, and put in the oven. I placed some leaves of spinach (drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic powder) underneath the tomatoes. Cook in the oven for about 25 minutes on 375. The tomatoes were delicious, but the spinach I put underneath was my favorite part! Next time I'll have to pile them up even higher!

No comments:

Post a Comment