Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Pan Fried Tomatoes with Herb Cheez

It's so nice to be back home where I can actually cook again! Yes!!!

At some point during my trip I decided that I wanted to try making some tomatoes breaded in panko, so I sliced up an heirloom tomato and sprayed them with olive oil and put them in a bowl of panko and shook them around to coat. Tossed in a pan with some coconut oil and browned them.

Then I made some soft herb cheez. This is another idea that popped into my head, so I had fun experimenting! I took a clove of garlic and a little sea salt and ground it up into a paste with my mortar and pestle. Then I added a slice of firm tofu, some chopped up cilantro and basil and ground all of it together. Then I added just a little pepper, because I was worried it wouldn't have any flavor. Boy, was I wrong! I mean, fresh garlic, cilantro, and basil - how could it not be full of flavor?

I took my fake cheese and put a little on top of each tomato and garnished with a sprig of cilantro (because my presentation was pretty lame). But what it lacked in appearance, it made up for in taste! Such a yummy little snack, and I'm kinda glad Matt wasn't here because I didn't want to share! LOL! But I could easily see doing this with some zucchini or even eggplant. Zucchini would probably be perfect, because it would hold up better than the tomato. I may try the cheez on top of raw tomato slices, too. But this is great as a snack or an appetizer!

No comments:

Post a Comment