Sunday, April 17, 2011

Glowing Green Smoothie

This recipe comes from the book "The Beauty Detox Solution" by Kimberly Snyder. It's packed with great information and recipes, and since I need to lose just a little more weight for my goal dress to fit perfect I've decided to follow her program for the next few weeks!

We hit the farmer's market today to pick up most of what we needed, since most of the recipes are raw. I couldn't wait to begin, so as soon as we got home and put groceries away I decided to make this Glowing Green Smoothie that I've been so anxious to try! I have to say, it is FABULOUS! It's very refreshing and light, and I'm already thinking of how great one of these will be after an early morning run!

Since I don't have a Vita Mix, I decided to make this in my food processor because it's much more powerful than the blender we have. It worked out great, and I'm starting to wonder if I even need a Vita Mix at all! All I did was start off with my greens and slowly added in all the other ingredients, and only added a touch of water as needed until everything was pretty well blended. Toward the end I finished adding the water.

I also took the blended mix and put it into a pitcher with some ice so it would be nice and cool. It was so tasty that I had a 2nd glass, and even Matt enjoyed it! I'm definitely looking forward to having this for breakfast all week!



Ingredients:

1 head romaine lettuce
Bunch of spinach
3-4 stalks of celery
1 apple (cored)
1 pear (cored)
1 banana
Juice of 1/2 lemon

Optional: cilantro and parsley

2 comments:

  1. How did it taste? Would you make it again, and did you notice any health benefits?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was good, but I'd actually like to find a recipe that is even greener! The spinach is good, but instead of romaine lettuce maybe I will do something like kale. I'm not a fan of celery in general, so I didn't like having it in there. The rest of it was great! You can always look at the ingredients on the Bolthouse Farms green goodness drink. But I think almost anything you throw in will taste good as long as you have sweet fruits like apples in there and a hint of citrus to brighten it up!

    ReplyDelete