Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Beauty Detox Solution

I was in Dallas on my way out to Seattle and I had a 4 hour layover. After grabbing some lunch and chatting with a very nice lady from the San Diego area, I still found myself with time to kill before my next flight. So I stopped in a bookstore hoping to find something to keep me entertained on my loooong flight to Seattle. I picked up a book about how Starbucks re-focused their customer experience in order to save the company from a downward spiral, but I put it back down. I wandered through the store, passing fiction, sci-fi, biographies and stopped at the business section. Nothing there appealed to me. I stopped by the life and faith section, and again nothing really stood out.

Then I turned around and found the health/nutrition section. Since I just finished reading Dr. Joel Fuhrman's "Eat To Live" and I could hardly put it down, I thought I might find something like it. The first book I saw had a bright green cover and it was facing outward as a featured book. I read the title: "The Detox Beauty Solution." Then I rolled my eyes and looked for a "serious" book. Nothing else sounded very interesting, so I looked back at the bright green cover and picked it up and flipped through it. Toward the back I found some recipes, and after seeing several for non-oil based dressings I decided that alone was worth $16.95. I've been looking for some decent dressing recipes that don't include oil.

With about an hour before my flight, I sat at the gate and opened up my new book. The beginning starts with quotes from some of the celebrities that the author, Kimberly Snyder, has worked with. I noticed that a few of them are very outspoken vegetarians, which is cooler to me than the fact that they are celebs. : )

It wasn't until I read the introduction that anything impressed me. She talked about her experiences, how she went from being thin to gaining a lot of weight, and then how she became fascinated by nutrition. She went on a 3 year trip around the world and learn health and beauty "secrets" from other countries. Personally, I think other countries, particularly in the far east, have it right when it comes to physical, mental, and spiritual health! So she had my attention!

The book echoes much of what is said in "Eat To Live," except that Beauty Detox is more about experience than science and research. She includes case studies from some of her clients (which I skipped over, but some may find it interesting). What I liked is that she not only provided an educational approach, but she followed it up with a practical solution and structured program.

I finished the book long before I made it to Seattle. It's an easy and very interesting read, and I am definitely going to try out some of the recipes. I may even follow the program, even though I'm already over a month into already eating healthy. But tomorrow is the last day of my fast, so maybe I'll try something else over the next month!

Speaking of fasting, I love this quote from "The Beauty Detox Solution:"

"Detoxification also serves to purify the mind, because when our bodies are cleansed, our minds become more clear and we are able to strengthen our focus on what we really want to achieve in our lives."

This is so true! One of the things I am always amazed with when I fast is how much I can connect spiritually and emotionally, which is perfect for prayer and devotion. But I also find that fasting (which is pretty much the same as detoxing, just not as trendy sounding) gives me a greater appreciation of my body of the food that God has provided to nourish us physically.

I've been sharing these thoughts with other women I know who are searching for a healthier lifestyle or are wanting to change their appearance. I think those who seek health will find more success with looking hot than those who are focused on physical goals. When I focused on just losing weight for my wedding, 20-25 lbs in about one year. Now, I consider that successful but I spent thousands of dollars on a structured diet program and a personal trainer. Just by committing to a healthy lifestyle I've lost about 13 pounds in one month. AND I'm eating more! And I'm enjoying what I eat more! That's why I decided to go beyond my fast and commit to a lifestyle change. I am beyond pumped up about it!! Hopefully my experience will be an example for the wonderful women I know who also find themselves wanting to change their health and/or physical appearance. I think they deserve to feel and look amazing, too!

I can't wait to try out some of the recipes in here and share them on the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment