Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Raw Pad Thai Salad and Spicy Thai Vegetable Wraps

It only took me one day of eating raw to realize that I needed a BIGGER food processor! So I went out today and bought one, and as I was out and about I also discovered a great little store in Avondale called Green Man Gourmet. They have a great selection of spices!

As I was getting ready to make dinner, I decided to skip ahead to two Thai-inspired recipes that I had planned for later this week. First, I started by making the Spicy Thai Vegetable Wraps that I found on Raw Guru. They weren't very spicy, so next time I may kick up the heat a notch or two. But, regardless, they were amazing! I've never been a fan of collards, but the raw collard leave was a perfect wrap. The soft mango slices inside the wrap mixed with the salty crunch of the raw cashews made things interesting. I was never sure what kind of bite I was going to get!

Next, Matt helped make the raw pad Thai salad that I found on About.com, which was very refreshing. I think next time I'd also like to add a little kick to this one. A little bit of the salad and one wrap and I was full! We have tons of stuff left over, so we'll be making more tomorrow night! Yummy!



Easy Raw Pad Thai Salad Recipe
2 zucchinis, sliced into strips with a vegetable peeler
2 large handfuls of bean sprouts, approx 2 cups
3/4 cup chopped nuts (use almonds, peanuts or cashews)
1 red or yellow bell pepper, sliced into strips
4 green onions, diced
1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
juice from one lime
1 tablespoon raw, cold-pressed olive oil
1/4 tsp sea salt

Preparation:
Toss all ingredients together in a bowl until well coated. Add a dash more salt if desired and enjoy!


Spicy Thai Vegetable Wraps
1/2 cup chopped raw Cashews (dehydrated, if preferred)
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped ginger
1 tablespoon chipped red chile, seeds included
1 1/2 tablespoons nama shoyu
1 cup raw almond butter
1/2 head savoy cabbage, shredded
6 very large collard green leaves
1 large carrot, cut into matchstick-size pieces
1 large ripe mango, cut lengthwise into strips, about 1/4-inch thick
2 cups bean sprouts
1 handful cilantro leaves
1 handful torn basil leaves
1/2 handful mint leaves (torn or cut if leaves are large)

The site also includes a Tahini dipping sauce, but honestly I don't think the wraps need a dipping sauce. They are packed with sweet, salty, and spicy flavor already!

No comments:

Post a Comment