Sunday, March 13, 2011

Raw Week

Matt and I are so pumped up about our challenge for Week 3 of our fast! When we decided to do the fast, we knew that being vegan for a month (longer for me) wouldn't be so bad. We cook a lot of vegetarian dishes anyway, so we just had to cut out a few more things. So to really push ourselves, we said we would make Week 3 a raw week!

I was so worried about it because we haven't really done this before. And raw recipes aren't that easy. A lot of them have things that I can't pronounce or have even heard of. Fortunately, that helped me eliminate a lot of recipes. I found a few recipes for this week's dinners, and I am so excited about it that I said "Hey, let's start it a day early!"

We hit the farmer's market to get as much off our grocery list as we could. We found most of our ingredients there:



8 zucchini
4 Asian pears
5 avocados
12 limes
10 lemons
1 bag of yellow onions
2 bags of bean sprouts
1 cabbage
10 oranges
1 cauliflower
8 apples
2 containers of blackberries
1 huge piece of ginger (and that was a SMALL one)
5 tomatoes
6 Roma tomatoes
1 huge bag of romaine hears
1 bag of Bosc pears
2 bunches of green onion
1 container of baby spinach
8 cucumbers
2 bunches of cilantro
2 packs of mushrooms
1 pack of baby bella mushrooms
and 12 pints of strawberries

This massive pile of fresh deliciousness only cost us $58! It would have been twice as much if we had gone to Publix.

So we're getting ready for our first night of our raw week, and I've already made a gorgeous vegan raw cheesecake for dessert. I've been tasting some of the ingredients along the way, and I know it's going to rock! I will definitely post some pics and the recipe and report on how it turns out! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment