Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Caribbean Jerk Wrap with Carrot Raisin Slaw

I got the idea for the Caribbean Jerk Wrap from Native Sun. When we shop there we always get one, and they are sooooo good! Fortunately, they have to list all the ingredients on the label, so they pretty much tell you how to make them!

I made this one just a little different because I had a recipe for the Carrot Raisin Slaw from the book Eat To Live (great read). After making the slaw I realized that it was similar to the ingredients inside the wrap, so I just used that. I made a TON of slaw, so it made sense!

To make the wrap, I seasoned a piece of tempeh with jerk seasoning and baked in the oven at 400 degrees for about 10-15 minutes. You can eat it raw, so I wasn't concerned with how long it cooked. I just left it there while I made the slaw. When I took it out, I decided to toss it in the food processor and added some more jerk seasoning, fresh juice from an orange, and some hoisin sauce. Hoisin sauce was NOT in the recipe, but molasses and brown sugar was and I thought Hoisin was a better and easier option.

The Carrot Raisin slaw included shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, raisins, apple juice, mustard, lemon juice, and diced apples. The recipe also calls for a baked potato, but I didn't think it sounded good with the rest of the ingredients. Instead, I added some diced honey mango. We served it on the side and inside of the wrap.

So inside the wrap we had the jerk tempeh, the carrot raisin slaw, and some romaine lettuce. Matt said it was better than the one we got at the store. I'm not so sure. I'm pretty sure that Native Sun marinated the tempeh before baking, but I didn't plan ahead. I had some leftovers for lunch today. Definitely going to make this one again! And this was our first time making something with tempeh, which I am not a huge fan of! Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment