Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Wheat Spaghetti with Garden Sauce

After a couple of disappointing meals, we decided to go with a safe choice - spaghetti! I can't believe that I didn't eat spaghetti for a long time. Growing up, my Grandma made spaghetti EVERY Sunday. It was even included in her obituary, because she was semi-famous in her hometown for it.

Well, I don't quite make spaghetti the same way as Grandma, but I'm always inspired by her when I made spaghetti. The difference is that hers had a TON of meat in it, and I like to put tons of veggies in mine! Last night I added even more than usual, and we loved it!

First, Matt and I had some challenges with rolling the pasta. I turned around and had this soupy mess in a bowl and I just started laughing. He was stirring it, I guess hoping it would thicken. It was hilarious!

We finally sorted that out and now Matt knows what consistency pasta needs to be before it can be rolled! Then I started working on the sauce. I always start off with a little olive, and once the pan is hot I toss in some garlic and onion. I love the aroma that fills the air when those two start going! Ahhhhh! : )

I also added some zucchini, since I had a bit left over from our sushi night, and some fresh mushrooms. Then I added some fire roasted canned tomatoes and (gasp) a jar of Barilla spaghetti sauce. And every time I use a jar of sauce I remember my Grandma telling me "That isn't sauce!" But we didn't have tomato paste in the pantry, so I had no other choice. Besides, if you ask Matt the sauce was rockin'!

I know my cell phone pics are horrible, but it was awesome! My Grandma had it right - you just can't go wrong with a big bowl of spaghetti!

No comments:

Post a Comment