Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lettuce Wraps

Tonight as Matt and I were driving around, we talked about all the places that we passed and how we couldn't eat there. So Matt posed the question, "If you could have anything right now, what would it be?" I'm sure he expected me to say something bad, but I answered him honestly and said "lettuce wraps." In anticipation of next week's challenge of eating nothing but raw/living foods, I've been reading and thinking about possible meals for us. One that I was planning on was lettuce wraps. I've never made them before, but today I was considering what to put inside the wrap and I thought of a dressing to put on them and honestly have been craving them all day.

So we stopped at the grocery store and picked up some Boston lettuce and some other ingredients for our lettuce wraps. All the while, I was thinking "Please let these be as good as they are in my head, or he is going to hate me!" Well, fortunately it worked out because it is the BEST thing we've had since starting the fast! I may just eat them every day next week!!

I started off by making the "dressing" so that all the flavors had some time to blend together. I took some fresh ginger and garlic and diced them up, squeezed the juice of one lemon, and added just a little bit of olive oil and soy sauce to a dressing container. I also zested the lemon and put ALL of it into the dressing. I'm a bit obsessed with lemon zest (hey, that rhymes!!). I let it sit while I was prepping the rest of the stuff for the wraps (occasionally shaking it up).

For the filling, I grabbed a big bowl and tossed in my ingredients as I cut them up:

shredded carrots
diced zucchini
diced mushrooms
diced tomato
alfalfa sprouts
soy nuts
green onion

Then I washed our cute little Boston lettuce, dried it, and assembled it on the plate to get ready for the yummy filling. I gave the dressing another shake and added it to the bowl of filling, stirred it all around and added a bit of salt and pepper then filled all of the lettuce leaves. In the center I added some carrot sticks just because something needed to be there.

Oh... my... goodness! The lettuce wraps were amazing! The dressing really made it. Can you really go wrong with ginger, garlic, and lemon zest? I think not!

No comments:

Post a Comment