Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Palak "Paneer"

I LOVE INDIAN FOOD!! It is my favorite food! So when I was planning this week's menu I knew I had to include an Indian dish. I've made Indian food before, but it doesn't count when you just buy a sauce that is already made. This was my first time cooking an Indian meal from scratch.

I found this recipe on About.com. It was pretty good, but I think it could have been better. It may have been the quality of the spices that I used. I added more spices than it required, but that still didn't seem like enough. Also, next time I would not put the spinach in a food processor. The photo shown on About.com doesn't appear to have been put into one, even though it says to do so in the instructions.

Ingredients:

* 1 package firm or extra firm tofu, well pressed and sliced into 1 inch cubes
* 2 tbsp olive oil + 1 tbsp
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 3 tbsp curry powder
* 1 tsp turmeric
* 1 tbsp cumin
* 1/4 tsp ginger
* 2 tbsp water
* 1/3 cup soy yogurt
* 6 bunches of spinach

Preparation:
Sautee tofu and garlic in two tablespoons of olive oil until tofu is lightly crisp.

In a separate large skillet or a wok, heat the other tablespoon of olive oil. Add the spices and water, then whisk in the yogurt.

Add the spinach, stirring to cover in the yogurt sauce. Remove from heat and process the spinach mixture in a food processor or blender until almost creamy.

Return the spinach to the skillet and add the tofu. Cook and stir until the tofu is well mixed with the spinach.



I may or may not try this recipe again. I think there are plenty of other Indian dishes that I want to try before making this one again. I did like that it included so much spinach, though! Yummy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment