Sunday, March 13, 2011

Raw Vegan Cheesecake

Up til now, we've only been having fresh fruit for dessert. But to make the challenge of going raw for one week even "sweeter," I decided to try out some recipes for raw desserts. I think I now have my hubby sold on the idea of raw foods!

This recipes was so easy to make! It took a little time, but it was well worth it. My hubby and I both had a second slice of it tonight! I found this recipe on the Gone Raw website and I knew I HAD to make it this week! I may just have to make it EVERY week! Try it... you won't be disappointed!!



Raw Vegan Cheesecake

In this raw food cheesecake, dried coconut is used as the bottom layer (to replace the crumbled graham crackers), macadamia nuts are used for the bulk of the "crust" layer, and cashews make up most of the "cheese" portion.

Ingredients:

Bottom Layer Ingredients:

1/4 cup of dried coconut

Crust Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups of raw macadamia nuts
1/2 cup of dates
1 pinch of sea salt (optional)

Raw Cashew Cheesecake Filling Ingredients:

3 cups of cashews
3/4 cup of lemon juice
3/4 cup of raw honey (or other raw sweetener)
3/4 cup of coconut oil
1 tablespoon of vanilla

Sauce Ingredients:

2 cups frozen mixed berries (or any frozen fruit)
1/2 cup of dates
Preparation:

Directions:

1. Sprinkle coconut on the bottom of cheesecake pan (or any glass 'baking' dish).
2. Blend crust ingredients (you'll see when it starts to get 'crusty') in food processor and spread on top of coconut layer.
3. Blend filling ingredients in food processor and then spread on top of crust layer.
4. Cool in fridge or freezer to firm up a bit. It took about 45 minutes in the freezer when I prepared it.
5. Blend sauce ingredients in food processor and then spread on top of cheesecake layer.

3 comments:

  1. I loved this! It was sooo good. I think the crust would have held up without the coconut. The coconut between the crust and cheesecake might be tasty!

    LOVED the strawberry/blackberry topping. It was soo good with fresh strawberries included!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I promise not to eat any more before you get home! But we need to only have ONE piece for dessert tonight! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is best served after sitting in the fridge overnight. This picture was taken after only an hour or two in the fridge and it hadn't firmed up all the way.

    ReplyDelete