Friday, March 18, 2011

Raw Vegan Key Lime Pie

I thought the Raw Vegan Cheesecake was good, but this Key Lime Pie recipe is way better! And I'm actually not a big fan of key lime pie!

Some notes about the recipe. I didn't have any almonds, so I used raw cashews and some peanuts for the crust. I also didn't have raisins (why would I? They are gross!). The crust is still awesome! I'm not sure you can mess this up.

Unless... you don't taste the filling before you put it in the pie. Ours was WAY too tart. I mean pucker your lips and squint your eyes tart! I added some raw honey, but it didn't do the trick and I only had a little left, so I resorted to using a bit of Splenda (bad, I know). But... I saved the pie!

For the "frosting," I used almond milk instead of water and dates instead of honey. I topped the entire pie with some shredded coconut. Heaven in every bite! I'm seriously in love! And I'm beyond excited about it having avocado in it. I just think it's brilliant! This was yet another Raw Guru recipe. I love that site!



Crust:
1 cup almonds
2 cups walnuts
1 cup dates
1/3 cup raisons
2 tbs. orange juice

Filling:
2 big avocados or 3 small ones
juice of 4 limes or 7 keylimes
zest of the limes/keylimes
1/2 cup cashew nuts

Frosting:
1/2 cup almond milk or water
1 cup mac nuts
1/4 cup Cashews
1 vanilla bean scraped (optional)
3 tbs honey or 7-10 dates

Garnish:
Crushed pistachios
lemon wedges
Methods/steps

Preparing crust:
Process all ingredients until crumbly and soft. Press into a 10 inch springform pan and chill

Preparing filling:
Either blend everything in blender until thick and creamy or put through juicer (ie: champion, greenpower)

Preparing frosting:
Put everything in a clean blender and whip it up until nice and smooth. No lumps please.

Assembly:
Take out the chilled crust. spoon the filling on top. Smooth it out with a spatula or spoon. Let chill for 1 hour. Take it out and then pipe or spoon the frosting on top. Garnish with lemon/lime wedges and chopped pistachios. Put in the fridge/freezer for another hour to set and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment