Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Vegetable Paella with Tofu

I found this recipe in the book "Everything Vegan." There are a ton of great recipes in it, and it may be my new favorite cookbook!

The book recommends cooking this in a wok, which is what I did. I used whole grain rice, and the recipe calls for short grain rice, so I had to cook mine a little longer. The rice was still a little undercooked, but this took such a long time to make that I got tired of waiting. It was still okay. Matt loved it. I'm not even sure if he noticed that the right wasn't perfect! So shhhhh! : )



Ingredients
2 tblsp olive oil
2 7oz packages spicy marinated tofu, diced (I used 1 16-oz pkg)
8oz cremini mushrooms (I used baby bellas)
2 large carrots, diced (1 cup)
1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
1 14oz can chopped tomatoes, drained
4 cloves garlic, minced (4 tsp)
1 cup short grain brown rice
2 1/4 cups water
1/8 tsp saffron, crumbled
1 cup fresh or frozen peas, thawed
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3 green onions, thinly sliced

I recommend draining the tofu as much as possible before cooking. You can do this by putting it on a few paper towels for about 30 minutes to an hour.

Heat the olive oil on med-high heat. After it's hot, add the tofu and saute about 10 minutes. Then add the mushrooms and saute 4-5 minutes. Add carrots, corn, tomatoes, and garlic and saute for a few more minutes. Then add rice and water and stir. After it comes to a boil, reduce heat to med-low and cover, simmering for about 40 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed. Then add the peas to the top (don't stir). Cook for about 3-5 minutes longer. Add lemon juice, green onions, and salt and pepper.

We didn't have any saffron, so I seasoned it with some Adobo, garlic powder, and curry. We've been eating leftovers, because it makes A LOT. But fortunately, it was pretty tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment