Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Enchilada Bake

One of Matt's favorite things from our last fast was the Enchilada Bake that I made. Instead of referring back to the recipe, I just grabbed a bunch of ingredients and made it the way I felt like it. Because that's how I roll! : )

I set the oven to broil and placed 6 corn tortillas on a cookie sheet, lightly misted and salted them and placed them in the oven. When they got a little brown I flipped them over. The casserole dish I used fit about 6 tortillas across the bottom, and I made 3 layers.

While the tortillas were browning in the oven, I started making the filling. I started with a little olive oil and some diced onions. Then I added some unsalted corn and diced green peppers (which I bought frozen because I wasn't sure I'd be using green pepper this week). Next I added kidney beans (next week I'll buy dry beans, as I was disappointed to see that the canned kidney beans had CORN SYRUP in them - nasty!). I also added some diced tomatoes, green chiles and enchilada sauce (save a little sauce to top the casserole). Everything cooked over medium-high heat and I used garlic powder, Adobo, pepper, sea salt, and a little curry to season.

At the same time, I heated up some refried beans (vegetarian kind) and seasoned them with Adobo and lime juice.

Once everything was done cooking, I was ready to layer the enchilada bake! I sprayed the bottom of the casserole dish with a little olive oil (just because I adore my Misto so much!!) and started with a layer of tortillas. Next I added a layer of refried beans and then a layer of my filling and topped with soy cheese. Added another layer of tortillas, beans, filling, and cheese and then topped the dish with a layer of tortillas and some more soy cheese. I forgot to save some of the enchilada sauce to top it with, but I didn't feel like opening another can.

I let everything bake together for about 30 minutes and then served it on top of a bed of mixed greens and garnished with green onions. Definitely an easy dish to make, and hard to mess up. Who knows what I will throw in there next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment