Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Tempeh Banh Mi

I got the recipe for this Banh Mi from Guy Fieri's show on Food Network. Of course, he made his with pork or something, so I tried a vegan version using 3 grain tempeh. Sadly, BOTH of our propane tanks went out on our grill, so I had to finish cooking the tempeh in the oven. I think it would have been better on the grill and if I had made the slices a little thinner. Matt really wants me to try it next time with pan fried tofu that is then cooked with the marinade (it will thicken into a nice sauce). So I think I know one thing I'll be making next week! : )

Start with the marinade:
Sesame oil
siracha
brown sugar
hoisin sauce
soy sauce
fresh sliced ginger (no need to peel)
chopped garlic

Toss everything into a bag to marinate the tempeh (or tofu, portabello, etc.) for at least an hour

Grill until cooked. Save marinade and put in a pan and simmer to use as a sauce (put it on after the first side has finished grilling).

These are all your toppings. Build it according to your taste!

Julienne carrot and daikon

Make pickled cucumbers (Sesame oil, siracha, brown sugar, hoisin sauce, soy sauce)
**I had a hard time not eating all the cucumbers! They were so tasty after marinating for a while!

Cilantro, mint

Lettuce

Veganaise, hoisin sauce, siracha, sesame oil

Hoagie rolls



Tempeh Banh Mi served with salad with Minty Fresh Salad Dressing

No comments:

Post a Comment