Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Lettuce Wraps (Cooked Version)

Ever since we made our first lettuce wraps, we were hooked! But so far we've only made them raw, and though I really love all the crisp, fresh veggies in a lemon/ginger/soy sauce, I really wanted to try making a cooked version!

I took a little coconut oil and heated it on medium high. I had already soaked some raw cashews, so I rinsed and dried them and chopped them up and tossed them in the wok. Then I added some chopped mushrooms and cooked for a minute or two. Then I added a small, finely diced carrot and cooked for another minute or two. Then I tossed in some bean sprouts and cooked for another minute. Then I put in about two teaspoons of hoisin sauce, 1/4 fresh squeezed lemon and about a teaspoon of soy sauce. Then I seasoned with salt and some Asian spice that I have (it's a blend of a bunch of spices). I also tossed in some minced garlic at some point. I wish I had added ginger (note for next time!).

I put everything on top of some living lettuce (which looks like Boston lettuce) and a little bed of alfalfa sprouts (Matt's suggestion). I topped each lettuce wrap with just a little flax seed. I think next time I would cut up some limes and let everyone squeeze some onto the wraps before eating them. But I was out of limes, so I couldn't try it. It was very different from the raw version, and I'm not sure which one I like better. I love them both!

No comments:

Post a Comment